Wednesday 17 February 2010

BRIT fever


So yesterday was the second instalment of my two days at the BRITs, and in all honesty by the time the ceremony started I was ready to get the hell outta there. There’s only one word to describe the scene; chaos.

Brits Brochure
So now that I can disclose what I was doing there, I can say that I was with the catering team (gotta pay the bills!!!) and with the best luck in the world I was responsible for 5 A-list tables. Situated in the front row, as close as I could get to the stage, my tables boasted the likes of Leona Lewis, JLS, Kasabian, and none other than Phil Collins. Whilst my tables were great, and Kasabian were absolutely lovely, a huge part of me was a bit disappointed I didn’t get Jay-Z, but in hindsight this might have been for the best, as he didn’t take his seat until the show had gone live. Instead I also had Lily Allen, who sadly failed to grace my lovely table with her presence, although as she was the first performer – I think I can let her off!

As the ‘talent’ arrived I was in prime position to watch all of the celebrities flood top their seats once dinner was announced, although rather than a flood, it was more like a slow but steady stream – with everyone coyly hanging back wishing to remain out of sight for as long as humanly possible. Lucky me literally rubbed shoulders with so many celebrities (but a lot of whom I was unsure as to how they got invited as it’s supposed to be strictly nominees and presenters...): JK Rowling, a suited Dizzee Rascal, Bat For Lashes (aka Natasha Kahn), A raspy-voiced Alesha Dixon (wearing a very short dress indeed, with horrible mismatching orange shoes), a diminutive Kylie, Mika, Holly Willoughby, Sinnita, Louis Walsh, Catharine Jenkins, Alexandra Burke... and the list goes on. Looking back now, quite hilariously Courtney Love really got my goat as she was saying hello to so many people that she held up traffic across the floor for what felt like an eternity, holding two very hot plates of yummy food.

Before all the guests arrived, I managed to catch the latter half of the full run-through, and got to see Kasabian practice a couple more times, I’m guessing due to the pyrotechnic complications. Whilst her singing was actually really good, I had to endure about four rehearsals of Cheryl Cole and dancers. Whilst I quite like Cheryl, I’m afraid I just don’t like the song Fight For This Love, as it’s just a bit too whinny – and four times over it was almost too much for my little brain to bear. What I will say is that I was impressed by how much effort she put into each and every performance, so much so that her and the dancers alike were a little weary after the fourth run.

Something that partly made my day (which I would have never expected it to), was hearing Robbie Williams round off the dress rehearsal. As the award for ‘Outstanding Contribution to Music’ is always last (being the most prestigious and all), Robbie sang several of his hits, plus a Take That number at full pelt. Anyone who knows me will know that I’m not a Robbie fan, as I don’t think he’s that musically talented, however I’ll always be quick to say that I believe him to be a great showman and performer – which I discovered first hand. Like everyone else of a certain age nationwide, I too know all of the Robbie lyrics ever written which was what was so great about the performance. It’s not every day that you get to sing along to the man himself while working, let alone in what could only be classified as a ‘closed set’ in military lockdown.

A surprisingly overwhelming experience – which I guess for some reason I wasn’t fully expecting. I’m hoping it was in reaction to Robbie’s realisation of his big moment, as if he was just taking in his gargantuan achievement for the first time.

And that’s it... the rest you (by now, at least) know already.

No comments:

Post a Comment