Thursday 19 November 2009

SS10 PRESS DAYS: Part Seven

Last night I popped into the Arcadia Group press day in Bloomsbury on the way to meet an old friend. I was really impressed with the huge space the brands had used in Victoria House to stage the press day and I was genuinely really impressed by all the collections which made me long for summer. Really loved the Evans collection a lot as there were lots of animal prints, dark natural colours and a beautiful maxi dress which I think is going to fly of the racks in a few months.
The only items I took photographs of were from Miss Selfridge as my camera was dying and I only wanted to capture my favourite bits. Topshop was old hat really, nothing bad all the clothes and accessories were beautiful but for me Topshop is Topshop– we’re socially programmed to love it! I find Miss Selfridge more interesting as for me it’s kind of like Topshop’s little sister who will eventually grow up and start to get all the attention.

Themes through the collection were very varied, there was mad hatter’s tea party, authentic cowgirl, and 80s glam. My favourite pieces were the white and black polka dot jacket with huge statement shoulders and ¾ sleeves and a great cut.

Also loved the interesting mix of styles in this red Indian and cowboy influenced dress with added sequins for sparkle.

The accessories were what stole the show for me. I absolutely fell in love with these bright red floral embellished heels which will look so cute next summer. The only trouble is with our recent track record of damp summers you’ll have to choose which day you wear them very carefully.

Loved this cute what I would call pillbox heart shaped bag. Great for an evening bag as it’s really subtly embellished with sequins and the metal chain is set to be very on trend again next year.

Lastly a recurring theme throughout the Miss Selfridge collection was that of fun which I felt was epitomised in this really kitsch ice-cream and sweet charm necklace– very cool indeed.

If that wasn’t enough I got a very big surprise when I was contemplating leaving only to realise I’d walked passed and not noticed a certain Boy George spinning tunes on the decks. As a big fan of Culture Club it was nice to see him, but after his recent brushes with the law, they’re unfortunately what I instantly thought of, and like everyone I couldn’t help but thinking; why is he here? Was definitely a nice touch and very fitting when taking into account that the 80s are again set to be huge next year as even if no one else is championing them Arcadia are which means everyone will once again be channelling the 80s in their dress next summer. I for one cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment