Tuesday 1 March 2011

LFW Diary AW11: Aminaka Wilmont

A little while ago, I was really happy to be invited to the Aminaka Wilmont show at LFW. A designer whose catwalk show I’d never had the privilege of seeing before; I was blown away by an abundance of cool signature digital prints, and a healthy dose of structured body-con.
Cutesy black and brown knee-high socks dominated, and combined with patent leather separates, the AW11 collection had a hard, rock-star edge, completed by fiercely stacked leather bound wedges. In terms of prints, my favourites included snake print and a blurred concoction of florals, all in light brown, dusty grey and mauve hues.
With the slimmest of silhouettes and a bevy of elegantly languid models, for me, the overview of the collection was all about pace, layering and length, juxtaposing short and long hemlines with causally draped fabrics resulting in directional shapes and new combinations of texture.

Whilst the collection is always the main focus of any show, at Aminaka I found myself being very distracted by the model’s hair - and subsequently taking lots of photos of this instead of the clothes - worn long and swept back with an assortment of plaits strewn across the crown, for some reason I thought of summer fields and prairies – perhaps not quite what I should have taken away from an AW11 show.

No comments:

Post a Comment