Monday 8 November 2010

SS11 Press Days: Fred Perry

Another press day I attended last week was that of British heritage label, Fred Perry. Having utilised his skills on the men's knitwear in previous season's, SS11 sees the legend that is Richard Nicoll take the helm for the Laurel Wreath collection entitled, Ready Teddy Girl. Inspired by Ken Russell's iconic portraits of 1950's teddy girls, nods to boot laces, drainpipes, pompadour haircuts, cigarettes and a broody attitude were at the forefront of the collection. My favourite garment is the coral knitted top below and I absolutely loved all of the pearl details present throughout the knits, complimented by mother of pearl laurel wreaths.  
"I like the idea that something as conservative and traditional as a cameo brooch could become subversive in the right hands. From here... we added old-fashioned elements like pointelle cardigans and mother of pearl for branding. I also mixed sports jersey with lurex pique and brocade cottons to create a clash of sport and 50's couture elements." - Richard Nicoll
Entitled Seaside Cool, the authentic women's SS11 collection takes its inspiration from the 1950's English seaside, creating a clean, contemporary tomboy feel which made me feel as though I'd just stepped into one of Enid Blyton's famed Famous Five books.
Continuing where she left off last season, I loved the new capsule collection from Amy Winehouse, taking classic 50's shapes that she would wear herself, slashing skirt lengths and necklines, to create an amalgamation of the Winehouse and Perry aesthetic. I loved the signature print woven throughout the collection, which depicts a bee-hived Winehouse as a Hawaiian dancer - fantastic and most definitely on the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment